Union Electric Railway freight locomotive #80,
was acquired in 1933 from the Youngstown & Ohio River Railway #5. It was built by Baldwin
Locomotive Works #45659 to pull freight trains. In 1948, it was sold to the
Mason City & Clear Lake as their car #50. The MC&CL became the Iowa Traction Co.
in Des Moines, and the locomotive became #60. Later the line was sold again and
became the Iowa Traction Co. running west from Mason City to the shops at
Emery, one of the last former trolley/interurban freight lines still in
operation using electric freight locomotives. In the summer of 2001, #60 was
still in service there. Photo taken in Independence, May 17, 1944.
Information from Art Gibson, Topeka, KS.